Home & Contents Insurance – It’s worth a Conversation

As we return to our ‘new normal’ post lockdowns, it is important to take this opportunity and review your insurance policies, especially if you’re working and/or living situations have changed.

Insurance House have received a significant increase in client enquiries around running a business from home and what that means for domestic insurance policies. As your trusted adviser, we want to make sure clients fully understand the potential risks and the coverage required to protect them in this increasingly common situation.

If you spend time working from home for an employer, your office space and equipment is considered a home office and does not need to be disclosed with your broker. However, if you have a business that is registered to your residential address, you must disclose this to your insurer as a business from home. Your current Home and Contents insurer may need to revise your policy and apply some clauses or exclusions to your cover as there are additional risks associated with running a business from home. This is vital as if not disclosed, your current Home & Contents policy may become void.

If your insurer approves your Home and Contents policy with you running a business from home, they are still only covering your Home and Contents. When running a business from home, it is important to have separate business insurance in place which may include Public Liability, Professional Indemnity or Inventory and Equipment cover. Understanding your potential risk, what insurance you need for you home business, and how to maximise your cover, is a conversation worth having.

Insurance House has a genuine commitment to connecting with our clients. Your broker is always here to help make managing your insurance easy. Understanding what you do and how you do it is fundamental to ensuring we are providing the right policy protection and allows us to negotiate with insurers to deliver the best possible outcomes for you.

Want to understand more about insurance for home businesses? Contact your broker directly or you can call Insurance House on (03) 9235 5222 or fill in the form below.

Cover is subject to the policy terms, conditions and exclusions.

This information is general in nature. To read our general advice warning click here.

Contact a broker

Fill out the form to provide more information about your request and one of our brokers will be in contact shortly.

Mandatory fields*

Broking Contact Us Website Form

Latest news and articles

rock-a-sock initiativeRead more +02 November 2023 By comms-admin in Charities

Rock A Sock for Free 3D Hands